If you’re planning any kind of home renovation or maintenance, you’ll need to decide whether you call a local handyman or book a specialist renovation contractor.
Both professionals provide essential services, but they cover different jobs around the home. Booking a contractor for smaller jobs would result in cost overruns that aren’t necessary. Calling a Des Moines handyman for large scale renovation wouldn’t be ideal.
Learn the difference between the two and find out who to call for some popular projects around the home.
The Difference Between a Des Moines Contractor and Handyman
This often gets confusing for homeowners, because both handyman services and general contractors often cover the same areas of work.
It can be a struggle to find the right company to call, but there’s actually a simple way to look at it.
- Most handyman services offer general improvements and fixes around the home. They work on small projects like repairs and maintenance. While you could remodel with a handyman, they would generally only take on small scale jobs that could be completed by a single person.
- Des Moines contractor services work on large scale projects where specialist machinery and tools would be required. They also handle projects where licensing is required (such as complete rewiring or plumbing installations). If the project will take more than a couple of days or if it requires the work of more than one professional, a contractor would be the best fit.
Think in terms of scope. Small scope fixes and improvements suit a handyman. Anything larger should be referred to a contractor.
Take a look at some examples and you’ll know when to call the right professional for any work around your home.
Call a Des Moines Handyman for These Home Improvements
- Interior or Exterior Painting – A great paint job can increase the beauty of your home. Whether you need painting performed inside or outside, a handyman should be your first choice. There is an exception if you want to paint your whole home inside or out, which would be better suited to a general contractor
- Furniture Assembly – If you have just moved into a new home and need to construct furniture and other smaller items around the home, a handyman will be able to complete the work. They have the experience and skills to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
- Sheetrock Repair and Installation – Sheetrock (drywall, plasterboard etc.) is featured in virtually every modern American home. It’s a cost-effective building material that allows for beautifully smooth walls that will last for many years. If you need to install sheetrock or repair damage in a single room, a handyman will be the best person for the job.
- Installing Light Fixtures – You don’t have to go with big home renovation projects to get impressive results. If you want to quickly transform the look and feel of a room, consider replacing the light fixtures. A handyman can complete this work in a limited amount of time.
- Minor Carpentry – If you want to install shelves in your home, repair kitchen or bathroom cabinets, turn a closet into an organized storage space, or even turn a room into a walk-in closet, a handyman will be able to complete the work in most cases.
- Plumbing Fitting and Minor Repairs – You don’t need to call a general contractor to install a bathroom vanity, repair a leaking faucet, or install a toilet. A handyman can take care of all these tasks relatively quickly and easily.
- Security Installation – Is it time to upgrade your home security? It has become more affordable to get advanced security around your home. You can install camera systems and sensors that are connected to the internet, allowing you to check your home and receive alerts if suspicious activity is detected. Installing a system can be difficult and time consuming. A handyman could help to mount and connect all your equipment safely.
- Minor Electrical Work – Short of rewiring your entire home, a handyman service is ideal for minor electrical work. Repairing or installing outlets and switches can be performed by a local handyman.
Call a Contractor for Your Larger Projects
Going back to the concept of scope, it’s easy to see the projects where a general contractor would be a better choice than a Des Moines handyman.
- Complete flooring replacement and refinishing.
- Whole home painting (interior and exterior).
- Complete kitchen remodeling or bathroom remodeling.
- Major home additions and finishing projects.
- Siding or roofing replacement.
- Deck building or extension.
- Changes that go beyond cosmetic, e.g. removing a wall or installing interior paneling.
- Large scale tiling projects.
Anything that would take more than a few days and that would require several talented professionals is best managed by a general contractor in Des Moines.
Talk to HomeWorx for both Handyman and General Contractor Services
If you’re still unsure about some of the projects you have in mind, HomeWorx Iowa can help. We offer home improvement services for any job, big or small. We can provide a local Des Moines handyman service for minor fixes and improvements. Or, you can take advantage of our complete design and general contracting service for whole home renovation and remodeling.
Being able to take care of everything under one company will streamline your next project. If you’re ready to make your home the best it has ever been, talk to the team at HomeWorx today.