A whole house renovation is the perfect way to modernize your home, get it ready for sale, or simply change the look and feel of your living spaces. There are also smaller jobs that you could do in-between calling the professionals.
If you want to improve your home in the short term, you could take inspiration from the following ideas. These jobs all require some thought and planning, but they’re light in terms of resources and experience needed.
Install a New Backsplash in Your Kitchen
Your kitchen is the heart of your home. It’s also a place that is constantly exposed to moisture, grease, and splashes etc. A kitchen backsplash is a functional element that can also provide beauty and style.
If your backsplash is worse for wear, then it’s time to replace it. You could take on this simple tiling project with materials available at a local home improvement store. Tiles are affordable and working on a small area will allow you to take your time and perfect your technique.
Replace Your Bathroom Vanity
A bathroom vanity provides the focal point of any bathroom. Yours should be functional and good looking. Modern vanities are ready for DIY install, and you can hook a replacement up to your existing plumbing without any need for special permits.
DIY replacement vanities can include cabinets, drawer storage, and high quality countertops. Most packages from large chain home improvement stores will also come with complementary hardware including faucets, door pulls, and cabinet handles.
If you’re looking for a simple weekend home renovation project, then the bathroom could be the perfect place to start.
Paint Your Linoleum Laundry Room Floors
Do you have older linoleum floors that are starting to show their age? Before you remove the material, consider painting for the short term. This will extend the life of your floors and give you a chance to plan a larger whole house renovation project.
Linoleum should be thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry so that paint adheres well to the surface. Be sure to use a primer before the final coat.
Paint a Room
You could even paint a whole room if you have the time and want to try a larger project. Children’s bedrooms, your master bedroom, or even a den or office could be painted in a single day or weekend. Preparation is important here. Walls should be cleaned and any dents and bumps in drywall should be smoothed before you start painting.
A fresh coat of paint won’t just make a room feel new. You could completely change the mood with a bright and bold color.
Hang New Wallpaper
Don’t want to deal with the mess that comes with painting? Consider hanging wallpaper in a room instead. This is easier for absolute beginners and you can get fantastic results with high quality products. There are even full graphic prints available to make a real statement in a bedroom, home office, or studio.
When is it Time to Call Home Renovation Experts?
We’ve covered five popular jobs that are suitable for DIY home renovation. However, taking on a home improvement project is not right for everyone. You can ask yourself a few simple questions to determine whether it’s time for some expert assistance.
- Do you have the tools needed to get the job done? Any major home renovation work will usually require specialized tools. These could be costly to rent and difficult to operate. If you’ve met the limits of your own tools and experience, it’s time to call Des Moines contractor
- Do you have the time needed to perform home renovation? The jobs listed above can be completed within a day. Some larger jobs will take a few days or even a few weeks. If you don’t have the time for renovation, it’s best not to drag the project out.
- Are there safety concerns with the project? Painting a feature wall or bedroom is a relatively simple job. Painting high ceilings and exteriors could be dangerous without the right experience. If you have any concerns at all about safety, you can talk to local professionals who have been trained to get the job done right, and without risk of injury or damage to your home.
- Do you have access to the right materials? Paint, hardware, and even tiles will be readily available from local home improvement stores and larger national chains. However, you can often save money by going through a local contractor, thanks to the relationships they have with large suppliers.
- Are you confident that you will be satisfied with the results? Your home is your most valuable investment. You should enjoy your time in your home, with impressive living spaces that have been finished to a high standard. If you have any doubts about any of the suggested projects or any others that you’ve been considering, then it’s time to talk to the experts.
Meet the Team at HomeWorx Iowa
Minor home renovations are perfect for developing experience in home improvement. For anything that requires expertise and specific knowledge of building or finishing processes, it’s best to talk to a team of professionals.
HomeWorx Iowa is your local home improvement service that can help you achieve your aesthetic and functional goals. Whether you want to bring your home into the modern age, or completely overhaul the look and feel, we can help.
Get results that only the best contractors can provide, with competitive pricing and leading customer service. Contact us today to begin any project large or small.