Well, you’re right. Remodeling the bathroom is a great way to transform your home. When you’ve got an old, dingy bathroom in your house, it seems to make the whole house feel a little bit dirtier. But a nice, new bathroom does something to make a home feel fresh again.
Of course, remodeling your bathroom is a big undertaking. You have to hire a contractor, decide on a color scheme, and pick out your amenities.
Are you going with a traditional bathtub or a jacuzzi tub? What kind of lighting do you want? Is the toilet staying in the same place or do you want it moved?
HomeWorx can’t answer those questions for you. It’s your bathroom, after all. However, our designer can lead you in a great direction!
But, there are certain questions we can answer. As one of the best bathroom remodelers in the Des Moines area, we have quite a bit of experience under our belts. We’ve outlined this FAQ guide to answer any and all questions you might have about remodeling or renovating your bathroom.
Table of Contents
- Will Remodeling My Bathroom Add Value to My Home?
- Is a Bathroom Remodel Tax Deductible?
- What’s the Average Cost of a Bathroom Remodel
- Does HomeWorx Offer Financing?
- How Long Does a Bathroom Remodel Take?
- What Steps are in a Bathroom Remodel?
- Do I Need a Permit to Remodel My Bathroom in Iowa?
- I Have Black Mold in My Bathroom! Can HomeWorx Do Something About That?
- Can HomeWorx Remodel a Bathroom for an Elderly Person?
- Do I Need to Hire Separate Contractors for Painting and Tile?
- Will HomeWorx Help Me Come Up with Bathroom Remodel Ideas?
- Can I See Some Photos of Past HomeWorx Projects?
- Can’t I Just Do a DIY Bathroom Remodel on My Own?
- Does HomeWorx Remodel Bathrooms Everywhere in Iowa?
1. Will Remodeling My Bathroom Add Value to My Home?
Yes. For most of us, a bathroom remodel is a significant financial undertaking. Between materials and labor costs, the price of a new bathroom adds up quickly.
But, the return on the investment is worth it. Aside from adding joy and comfort to your life, it adds to the value of your home.
According to a report from Remodeling Magazine, Iowa residents earn roughly 66% of their investment back upon selling their home. On average, a bathroom remodel adds more than $9,000 to the value of the house. An upscale remodel can add up to $30,000 to the house’s value.
2. Is a Bathroom Remodel Tax Deductible?
Not necessarily. According to federal tax laws, a new bathroom is not a deductible expense if the homeowner uses their home strictly as a personal residence.
However, certain bathroom amenities are eligible for a tax deduction. For example, some windows qualify as tax deductions under the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018. Windsor Windows, and Iowa-based window manufacturer that we work closely with, makes some eco-friendly windows that could earn you tax credits.
Read more about the tax deductibility of Windsor Windows here.
3. What’s the Average Cost of a Bathroom Remodel?
The cost of our bathroom remodeling services varies depending on the project. The square footage of the bathroom and the complexity of the project both influence the price.
The final bill reflects the cost of materials combined with the cost of labor. Typically, a bathroom remodeled by HomeWorx costs between $8,000 to $25,000. The average HomeWorx customer pays a little more than $10,000 for their project.
Call us for a free quote today. We can discuss bathroom remodel ideas and put together a proposal that outlines our estimated price.
4. Does HomeWorx Offer Financing?
Yes. HomeWorx offers payment plans to help customers build the bathroom of their dreams. Just apply for a loan through our website, select your desired payment schedule, and we’ll start laying down tile before you can say “new bathtub”.
5. How Long Does a Bathroom Remodel Take?
Every bathroom is different. The remodel timeline varies from project to project. Larger bathrooms and complex projects take much more time than smaller, simpler projects.
The average bathroom remodel takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks. This gives us enough time to demo the space, rebuild the walls, and install new appliances.
Because most problems involve plumbing, we may have to wait until a licensed plumber is available for the rough-in. If the plumber’s schedule is full, the duration of the project will increase. Similarly, if the project requires an electrician or a licensed HVAC specialist, the project will take a little bit longer.
We always do our best to get work done as quickly as possible. However, certain surprises can lengthen a project. We’ll keep you informed through frequent communication and our project management app.
6. What Steps are in a Bathroom Remodel?
All of our projects require a 7-step process:
- Initial Consultation: We meet with the homeowner to discuss their needs and brainstorm ideas
- Proposal: We come up with a plan and a generalized budget for the project.
- Decision: We come to an agreement with the homeowner and they sign off on the allowance.
- Design: We draft up a blueprint and choose materials that suit the customer’s budget. We also come up with a more specific allowance.
- Finalize Proposal: The customer approves the design or asks for adjustments. We agree on a set allowance. This won’t change without the customer’s approval.
- Schedule Job: We work with the customer to choose a time that works well for both of us.
- Remodel: We get to work! From here, we’ll demo, rough-in, and rebuild. This step can involve any number of sub-steps depending on the nature of the project.
7. Do I Need a Permit to Remodel My Bathroom in Iowa?
In certain cases, Iowa residents are required to obtain a permit in order to remodel their bathroom.
While a simple bathroom renovation (new walls, tiles, and appliances) does not require a permit, complex remodels will require a permit in most cities. In Des Moines, for example, you’ll have to apply for a permit if you want to relocate plumbing fixtures.
The HomeWorx team and our plumbing contractors can work with you to determine which types of permits you’ll need before the project begins.
How Much Does a Permit Cost?
The cost of a residential plumbing permit varies from city to city. Please contact your local permit center for more information on permit costs. Typically, they are a few hundred dollars.
8. I Have Black Mold in My Bathroom! Can HomeWorx Do Something About That?
Sure thing. It’s common for moisture to accumulate underneath the surfaces in a bathroom. As a result, mold tends to grow over time. Don’t worry about it! We’ll clean and kill the mold as we renovate and ensure it won’t be a problem in the future.
9. Can HomeWorx Remodel a Bathroom for an Elderly Person?
Yes. As people get older, they require different things. Therefore, it’s common for homeowners to alter their bathroom so that it’s more comfortable for aging in place.
Whether you’re an elderly person yourself or you have an elderly person living with you, HomeWorx can work with you to design a safe and comfortable bathroom that suits your needs.
10. Do I Need to Hire Separate Contractors for Painting and Tile?
No. HomeWorx is one of the most versatile remodeling contractors in Des Moines or all of Iowa. Our team can handle everything from demo and rough-in to tile, painting, and lighting.
Hiring multiple contractors will cost you a lot more money because each company charges an hourly rate. Therefore, you’ll end up spending for several different consultations with different contractors. By hiring HomeWorx as the only contractor, you’ll limit the number of consultations and save yourself a lot of cash in the process.
Plus, it’s nice to limit the number of people passing through the space. With fewer workers around, our contractors will be able to work as swiftly and as safely as possible.
11. Will HomeWorx Help Me Come Up with Bathroom Remodel Ideas?
Yes! As one of the best bathroom remodeling contractors in Iowa, we have no problem helping you to brainstorm ideas for your project. We can take a look at the layout of your room, discuss your tastes and needs, and design something according.
Our 3D-modeling software allows us to render images of your ideas before we begin the project. By drawing up a 3D sketch of the project, you’ll be able to visualize the finished project and alter it however you’d like.
12. Can I See Some Photos of Past HomeWorx Projects?
You’ll find images of our past projects in the photo gallery on our website.
13. Can’t I Just Do a DIY Bathroom Remodel on My Own?
In theory, yes. You could absolutely take on a DIY bathroom project if you were up for it.
In reality, however, it’s not as easy as many people think. A botched DIY project can cost you a lot of time and a ton of cash.
Plus, you can do some real damage to your house. If you happen to mess up the tile, for example, you could end up with serious mold growing under your shower walls or floors.
So, our recommendation is to leave the work to a professional. Our contractors will have your bathroom remodeled as quickly as for as little money as possible.
14. Does HomeWorx Remodel Bathrooms Everywhere in Iowa?
We’ll remodel any bathroom in the following Iowa cities:
- Ankeny, IA
- Clive, IA
- Des Moines, IA
- Grimes, IA
- Johnston, IA
- Urbandale, IA
- Waukee, IA
- West Des Moines, IA
If you live in a city other than those listed above, we might still be able to work with you. Please give us a call if you’re interested in working with us, no matter where you live. We are happy to talk about the possibility of remodeling your bathroom. If we are unable to accommodate you, we may be able to recommend a bathroom remodeling contractor near you.